Friday, July 19, 2013

Birdhouse and the Dragonfly


Late in the evening Tuesday, July 9th   I went back to the cemetery to visit Jay again.  It was a long emotional day and my heart heavy from the memories of that awful day three years ago.  There are only a few people who continue to keep Jay’s memory alive.  They always remember his anniversary and birthday; I always get a tex message or a call.  One of those people is Jay’s best-friend Jared; he was the first one to reach out to me on Jay’s anniversary.    Even though he was out of town working he made arrangements to have a Harley birdhouse placed at the cemetery.  His unconditional love and commitment to Jay calms my heart.  Jared gives me bear hugs like my Jay; if I close my eyes – I can feel my son.
Sunday morning I had breakfast with Jared; I had something personal of Jay I wanted to give him.  Jared was touched and I knew I had made the right decision.  After attending Church I went to the cemetery as I always do.  As I was weeding and cleaning up around the memorial this blue-tailed dragonfly kept flying around me.  It flew so close to my face; that I could hear the beating of the wings.  It then lighted on the shepherds hook near me and continued to perch there for at least 15 minutes.  Even as I moved around; it lifted up in flight but came right back.   I opened my hand and it came and sat on my finger; it was unmoved by my walking around or taking pictures.  Eventually I put it back on the shepherd’s hook.  I knew Jay was showing me that he was happy and appreciated what I did for his buddy Jared that morning.  A half hour had passed and the dragonfly was still with me. Leaving I turned to get one last look – the blue tailed dragonfly was gone.

                      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know if I can help in anyway. I am here to listen and share this journey called grief with you.